A CNC Toolmaker will produce precision tools, such as dies and molds, which are used by manufacturing to make a range of products. You would work mainly with metals, alloys, and composite materials.
- Working with 2D and 3D computer aided design and manufacturing software (CAD/CAM)
- Marking out the tool design on the ‘stock’ or casting following engineering drawings
- Cutting and shaping the part using a combination of lathes, presses, grinders and cutting machines, which are frequently computer controlled.
- Checking the tool’s dimensions with precision measuring instruments like micrometers, gauges and co-ordinate measuring machines (CMM)
- Carrying out basic machine maintenance.
- A minimum of 5 years experience.
- Must be able to read, follow and understand blueprints.
- Must have ability to set-up, program and operate DPMs.
- Capable of bending down and standing for long periods as required.
- Able to lift a minimum 50 lbs. safely.
- Able to or capable of learning how to operate proto trak VL or SLX Lathes, along with manual Hardinge tool room lathes and chucker.
- Able to operate or capable of learning to operate surface grinders.